In the racing world, the words Unadilla and motocross are synonymous. Motocross has been raced at the New York facility for over 40 years, going back to 1969, long before the sport gained the foothold in America it enjoys today. After first gaining national attention as a premium stop on the old Trans-AMA circuit, as well as hosting a stop on the inaugural AMA Pro Motocross Championship schedule in 1972, Unadilla became home to the 250cc United States Grand Prix of Motocross. From 1977 to 1992, the facility hosted this annual battle between Europe's and America's elite, crowning four world champions at the conclusion of the event. It also has the honor of being the first motocross facility in America to host the prestigious Motocross of Nations, which it did in 1987. In 1989, Unadilla returned to what is now the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship schedule.
It all began at Unadilla with Ward Robinson. Robinson had attended an event similar to trials, where competitors attempt to ride their motorcycles over the most rugged terrain imaginable. Inspired by the event, he told his wife, Peg, that he wanted to build a racetrack. He found what he thought would be the ideal location and purchased a large piece of farmland. He named it Unadilla Valley Sports Center, though today it is more widely known as simply Unadilla.
The racing began in 1969 and continued to grow when Ward contacted the AMA in order to start promoting larger races in 1970. His goal was to bring in champions from overseas and test them on his piece of U.S. soil against our American heroes. The rest is American motocross history, as such MX luminaries as Bob "Hurricane" Hannah, Roger DeCoster, David Bailey, Ricky Johnson, Jeff Ward, Jeff Stanton, Jeff Emig, and more graced the Unadilla grounds.
As the track grew, so did the Robinson family, as daughter Jill and son Greg were on hand for every race. "It was my job to learn all of my dad's duties, from working on the track to maintaining the grounds and things like that," Greg explains. "It was Jill's job to be my mom's right hand, taking care of administrative duties, organizational details, front-gate operations, etc."
The two were expected to work every summer, but since the family valued education, they were expected to balance racetrack duties with school activities. Once Jill and Greg graduated from college, they set off on their own careers, which they continue today. However, they remain instrumental in the management of the track. Today the facility features two motocross racetracks, known affectionately as "U1" and "U2." Ward and his wife continue to run the facility today but are gradually handing over more and more responsibility to their children.
- 2015 race tickets are now on sale here.
- Unadilla MX
5986 State Highway 8
New Berlin, NY 13411-4412
- Grandstand Seating
- Open Air Festival Seating with unrestricted viewing
- Covered VIP Viewing Area with live PA feed, live timing and scoring, live race footage, private restrooms, and catering
- Large interactive Sponsor Village
- Event Simulcast on FM Radio
- Food and Soft Drink Concessions
- Free Onsite Parking
- Permanent Restroom facilities
- Baby Changing Station
- Handicap Viewing Area
- Shaded Picnic Areas
- Nearly 100% track Viewing from a variety of vantage points
- State-of-the-art sound system
- Pro Pit Access on Friday night and Saturday morning
- Motorcycle Parking
- Handicap Parking
- Easy entries/Exits
- Hand wash Stations
- Flushing Restroom facilities
- No pets national weekend
- Gates closed Midnight to 6am daily - please plan accordingly
- From Albany NY:
NYS Thruway (I-90) to exit #25A ---I-88. Take I-88 to Oneonta and exit #13 (Morris/Rt.23). Turn right at top of exit ramp. Follow Route #23 west to Morris. Go straight through the light in Morris onto County Route #13. County Route #13 ends at Route #8 in New Berlin. Bear right onto Route #8 and proceed directly to the track.
- From Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, NY:
NYS Thruway (I-90) east to exit #32-"Westmoreland". Turn left at the light after the toll booths. Go approximately 3 miles to Judd Road. Turn right onto Judd Road. Judd Road turns into Rt. 840 which turns into Route #8 south. Stay on Route #8 SOUTH right to the track.
- From Binghamton, NY:
Route #81 NORTH to exit #15 ---I-88. I-88 to exit #9 "Sidney". Turn left at the top of the exit ramp onto Route #8 NORTH. Stay on Route #8 directly to the race track. DO NOT GO TO THE TOWN OF UNADILLA.
Where To Stay
- Hampton Inn - 315-733-1200 - Utica
- Holiday Inn - 315-797-2131 - Utica
- Best Western Gateway - 315-732-4121 - Utica
- Radisson Inn - 315-797-8010 - Utica
- Ramada Inn - 315-735-3392 - Utica
- Super 8 - 315-797-0964 - Utica
- Red Roof Inn - 315-724-7128 - Utica
- Motel 6 - 315-797-8743 - Utica
- Budget Motor Inn - 315-896-2613 - Utica
- Ramada Inn - 315-736-3377 - Oriskany
- Wingate by Windham - 315-334-4244 - Rome
- Super 8 - 607-336-8880 - Norwich
- Howard Johnson's - 607-334-2200 - Norwich
- Super 8 - 607-563-8880 - Sidney
- Wendt University Inn - 315-824-4400 - Hamilton
- Lake Chalet Motel - 315-822-6074 - Bridgewater
- Remember When Inn - 607-847-9799 - New Berlin